Who is the guide for?
This guide is for anyone who might deal with or come across homophobic hate crime incidents in the course of their work, particularly in Community Safety Partnerships or Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnerships (CSP/CDRPs).
But also including local authorities, the police, fire, health, social services, schools, healthy/safer schools partnerships, transport providers, the neighbourhood policing team, safer neighbourhoods team, neighbourhood watch, the neighbourhood wardens, Councillors, voluntary organisations including LGBT organisations, and other council services.
The Guide gives examples across the spectrum of tackling homophobic hate crime from prevention and early intervention through enforcement, investigation and prosecution and resolution.
It is important that the local partners understand their individual roles across this spectrum and how this interface. Key within that will be appropriate information/data sharing protocols so as to make the best use of information available to the local team.
Understanding the local problem:
- Do you know the nature of hate crime in your area?
- Do you know how it fits with the local pattern of crime generally?
- Is there a driver for these problems?
- Do you know what type of homophobic hate crime? Where? Who the victims/ perpetrators? How? When? Why?
- Is it being reported? Who to? Do they know what to do?
- Impact of hate crime? – support?
- Who are the partners for tackling the issues?
- Is there an issue around schools?
Does this information go into the local community tension briefing? Risk assessment processes
- Engaging with the community / LGBT Community about homophobic crime
- How/when/who do you engage?
- How ensure feedback feeds into policies and interventions
- How support the community? Training for service providers
- Multi-Agency role – Neighbourhood policing/ wardens/ safer neighbourhoods/ neighbourhood renewal/ housing/ social services/ PCSOs etc
- How engage with wider community? Using shopping malls/centres, post offices, GP services, libraries, stations, hospitals, LGBT events, LGBT venues?
- How engage with community organisations?
- How to include those who are not out or do not access LGBT venues and services?
- Awareness raising events? Annualised events? Pink Picnic etc